Thursday, February 17, 2011

On being back in the States

We have been in Texas almost two weeks. I have loved being here- enjoying the fresh air and beautiful weather and all the lovely conveniences, but Ariel and I have both been grappling with a lot of guilt and sadness about our sudden move. We both feel immense guilt leaving our housekeeper and driver behind so suddenly, and obviously Ariel feels like he left his work incomplete even though all of this has been out of his control. I also feel sad having left the schools and the girls teachers and all the people who are part of our lives back in Cairo. It's hard. I feel like I can't fully enjoy myself knowing I have so many loose ends; the apartment full of our stuff, bank and utility accounts still open, etc. etc. As for now the plan is for Ariel to work here until April, then attend a 3 week training in Malaysia, followed by his probable return to Cairo for a few months, and then most likely, his company will be transferring him back to Texas. The plans are still tentative, but that's what we are working with right now.

The girls are now in a local school and doing well. We are all still feeling reverse culture shock, which can be pretty funny. The littlest things make them happy, like H-E-B and "real" commercials. Little by little I feel like we are readjusting to life back home, but part of me is still sad about all we left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment